Bill Stephenson wrote:
> Puneet Kishor wrote:
>

>>I have been working with an opensource program called Mapserver
>>(mapserver.gis.umn.edu)
[..]
> years (Before OS X beta was released). This is "Stephen Lime's" project,
> right?

Yes you are correct. and many, many other folks who are now actively
contributing to it.

> But since I could never get it to run on my iServer or OS 8, I finally
> unsubscribed. Mapserver is a heavy duty application from what I recall.  It
> also uses the gd.c libraries to create graphics and it has deep API that
> might well do anything I'm doing now.

Mapserver runs happily as a cgi on OS X and any version of Apache. For
Perl/Mapscript you require Perl 5.6.1. The Mapscript module may not
compile with 5.8.x because of Swig. Seems like Swig may not be
dependable enough yet with 5.8.x. I know for a fact that PHP/Mapscript
does not work on OS X because of lack of support for dynamic loading of
PHP libraries in OS X. I haven't had any interest to try out Python and Tcl.

First hand experience... Perl/Mapscript with Perl 5.6.x works fine. You
can use DBI to interface with MySQL, and even store your coordinates in
the database and construct points on the map on the fly.

You need to compile GD and have libpng, libjpeg, etc. You can do
projections on the fly if you build PROJ.4. And you can handle most any
raster data if you use GDAL. Info on PROJ.4 and GDAL can be found on
remotesending.org.

I tried some of these below...

[..]

> I've done some work on resizing a graphic by percent:
>
> http://www.navigraphic.com/cgi-bin/bill/resize.cgi

are you using Imagemagick for this? I have recently started playing with
Imagemagick... sweet.

> This little app will show you what "Services" are near a location you select
> on a map:
>
> http://secureshopper.com/bransonlive/maps/bizfind.html
>
> This lets you navigate a large image:
>
> http://www.navigraphic.com/mapzap/

cool!

Please do consider joining the Mapserver list. We also have a Mapserver
wiki going with lots of examples and install help.

pk/