On Wednesday, October 23, 2002, at 11:06 PM, Trey Harris wrote:

Really?  So, say, you build a CamelBones app under 5.8, and make it a
self-contained .app dir so that your users don't know it's Perl.  It'll
work even on a machine running 5.6, and vice versa?
As I said, if you use a construct that's only available in 5.8.0, your app will only work with that version. That's precisely what you're doing - you're embedding a framework into your app that's linked against the 5.8.0 version of libperl.dylib.

The easy answer is, don't do that. Just link your app against /Library/Frameworks/CamelBones.framework, as I've advised here, on the CamelBones site, and in many other places - including in the default project templates shipped with it.

That's why CamelBones is built as a separate framework in the first place - so that you don't have to worry about what version of Perl your users have. You may think you're doing your users a favor, by embedding the framework in the .app bundle. But you're not - when (not if) Apple upgrades to 5.8.0, your apps will break. Will your users be happier at that point, installing an updated CamelBones.framework once, or updating each and every one of your applications separately?

sherm--

If you listen to a UNIX shell, can you hear the C?