Folks,

I am proceeding nowhere, and I am hoping someone on this list can point me toward a solution. I have gd 1.8.4 installed and Apple's stock perl 5.6.0. Everytime I run this one perl program that uses gd, I get the following error --

dyld: perl Undefined symbols:
_gdFontGiant
_gdFontLarge
_gdFontMediumBold
_gdFontSmall
_gdFontTiny
_gdImageArc
_gdImageColorAllocate
_gdImageColorTransparent
_gdImageCopy
_gdImageCopyMerge
_gdImageCopyResized
_gdImageCreate
_gdImageCreateFromJpeg
_gdImageCreateFromPng
_gdImageDestroy
_gdImageFillToBorder
_gdImageFilledPolygon
_gdImageFilledRectangle
_gdImageInterlace
_gdImageJpeg
_gdImageJpegPtr
_gdImageLine
_gdImagePng
_gdImagePngPtr
_gdImagePolygon
_gdImageRectangle
_gdImageSetBrush
_gdImageSetPixel
_gdImageSetStyle
_gdImageSetTile
_gdImageString
_gdImageStringFT
_gdImageWBMP
_gdImageWBMPPtr

Searching around on Google I discover that this dynaloader failure seems to be associated with incompatible modules. It seems that for some reason "make install" doesn't always completely overwrite the files in /Library/Perl. It is suggested that I can remove the shared libraries like this:

% find /Library/Perl -name '*.bundle' -print | xargs rm -i

I want to remove nothing unless I am sure of the results so I do the following --

[lucknow:/Library/Perl] pkishor% sudo find . -name '*.bundle'
./darwin/auto/Bit/Vector/Vector.bundle
./darwin/auto/Date/Calc/Calc.bundle
./darwin/auto/DBD/mysql/mysql.bundle
./darwin/auto/DBI/DBI.bundle
./darwin/auto/Digest/MD5/MD5.bundle
./darwin/auto/Foundation/Foundation.bundle
./darwin/auto/GD/GD.bundle
./darwin/auto/HTML/Parser/Parser.bundle
./darwin/auto/MacOSX/File/Catalog/Catalog.bundle
./darwin/auto/MacOSX/File/Copy/Copy.bundle
./darwin/auto/MacOSX/File/Info/Info.bundle
./darwin/auto/MacOSX/File/Spec/Spec.bundle
./darwin/auto/mapscript/mapscript.bundle
./darwin/auto/MIME/Base64/Base64.bundle
./darwin/auto/PerlObjCBridge/PerlObjCBridge.bundle
./darwin/auto/Term/ReadKey/ReadKey.bundle

I see there is the GD.bundle that, I think, might be causing the incompatibility problem. Except, I was getting the above messages even before I installed GD.pm. Anyway, I back up the GD.bundle, and try building everything again... still no success. Exactly the same problem.

Here is the interesting thing -- Everything worked with 10.1.x using the same version of all other programs involved. Btw, I thought the problem might be because I had built gd with gcc 2.95 (one of the programs I need to build requires gg 2.95). But that is also not the problem because I rebuilt gd with gcc 3.1 and still got the same error.

Seems like my Perl is incompatible with my gd, or the perl module I am using (mapscript.bundle above) that incompatible with my gd. Except, I don't how to resolve this. I can't ask the mapscript makers because they don't use OS X, and besides, the same mapscript worked fine with 10.1.x anyway. I know you folks may not know about mapscript, but you are perl and OS X gurus. So, I stand a better chance here.

Many tia,

Puneet.