On Tuesday, Nov 5, 2002, at 03:08 Asia/Tokyo, Ronald Florence wrote:
Dan,

I have installed and used your excellent psync to backup an HFS+ partition on MacOS 10.2.1. It works flawlessly, using the command line you suggest, with one exception:

Every file in the backup has group `unknown' instead of the group in the original filesystem.

Is there a way to fix this so that psync will backup the filesystem with the original groups? Thanks,
psync DOES preserve group attributes whenever possible but the very group attribute is simply a 32 bit integer that is mapped to its name by NetInfo (/etc/groups in ordinary Unixen) so if the NetInfo database is different the group may appear in different names.

Another possibility that the groups are not preserved is that the use privilege when psync was run was insufficient (I suspect this is more likely). Did you 'sudo'?

Dan the Maintainer MacOSX::File
I've also been having this problem. Part of it, but I'm not yet convinced all, is that my source volumes mistakenly had their "Ignore ownership on this volume" checked (Info window for the volume). The psync documentation explicitly says these checkboxes must be unchecked "otherwise permissions and ownership settings will not be preserved, no matter what tool you use to copy files".
--

--- Mitchell L Model