Like I said in my post:

On 12/13/02 2:29 PM, John Siracusa wrote:
> Remember that OS X uses perl as part of its normal functioning, so you need to
> make sure that /usr/bin/perl always works the way it's expected to...even when
> that includes "broken" behavior, as in the Apple(!) installer that expected
> /usr/bin/perl to accept "EQ" as a valid operator (5.6.0 does, 5.8.0 doesn't)

Also remember that software updates from Apple may write files right on top
of your Perl install since they expect the original 5.6.0 install to be just
as it was out of the box.  In generally, it's a good idea to stay out of the
way of any Unix-ish files/apps that came with the system.  Perl is the only
oddball that I mingle somewhat with Apple's stuff (by using /Library/Perl).
I make sure everything else is isolated in /usr/local, which Apple does not
use.

-John