At 12:32 PM -0600 1/12/03, Puneet Kishor wrote:
>I love perl, and choose it over anything I can avoid. I do things
>with it that I wouldn't start doing with other languages (granted,
>my needs are pretty narrow). But I do want Perl to be easier to
>install, maintain, and difficult to bugger up. As much as I like
>Morbus's articles on Apache, I think it was really wrong for Apple
>to commission that article on Perl 5.8.0 because now most everyone
>thinks that Perl 5.8.0 is now sanctioned and they can go upgrade.
>Add Fink to picture which does its own voodoo and what we have is a
>royal pain in the derierre.
>
>To those who still have the stock install -- for the love of god,
>don't upgrade if you don't have to. Perl 5.6.0 works just fine for
>me, and probably will for most of you. Don't even bother with Fink,
>as much good as the idea of Fink might be. Upgrade only if your life
>and your work requires it. There is nothing but grief that will
>follow otherwise.

I haven't had any problems with 5.8, nor any problems with CPAN
modules (once I had my environment set up), but I don't use fink.
Several people recommended it, but I looked over what they had to
offer (and listened to people on this list having nothing but trouble
with the way fink did things) and decided to stick with what I know.

I feel a little antiquated on this forum, using perl under emacs and
installing my CPAN modules one at a time by hand, but, hey, it
works.

--
Heather Madrone  ([EMAIL PROTECTED])  http://www.madrone.com
Reality: deeper than I dreamed.