I don't believe that hobbyist segment is that large. I suspect most users
approach from Classic or from UNIX, where the two approaches I described
would fit. For those that do fit the hobbyist category - take the gloves
off and dig in that's the best way to learn it.

BTW I didn't believe your response was disjointed or confrontational. In
fact it invoked an almost immediate "ah-ha", as I recognized something I
hadn't considered.

Finally I agree with some other's comments. Package management will have to
come from Apple. If they are to succeed in bringing UNIX to the desktop,
they must. I already believe they've come closer than ANY other OS. A
double-click installer, that can get UNIX SW installed correctly by simply
providing a password for a user with admin rights is a beautiful thing.

Daniel Stillwaggon wrote:

You are forgetting about hobbyist users who may want to download stuff and
tinker with it.  Fink provides a middle ground where users can download
software easily and in minimal steps. They don't need to hunt for stuff and
deal with libraries and dependencies, but can still get to it to play
around.

Sorry if this sounds disjointed or confrontational, that was not my intent
(though my head-cold seems to be interfering with my ability to write
coherently).  I only wanted to point out that software installation at the
command-line level (much like advanced Perl), is not an easy thing and
there is really no reason to pretend that it is/can/should be easy.