At 11:39 AM -0600 1/16/03, Ken Williams wrote:
>On Thursday, January 16, 2003, at 11:35  AM, William H. Magill wrote:
>>On Thursday, January 16, 2003, at 11:13  AM, Ken Williams wrote:
>>>After upgrading to Jaguar, I find that running "emacs foo.pl" will
>>>overwrite the last screenful of my Terminal.app session's
>>>scrollback buffer.  This is a drag, because it means I can't run
>>>'cvs diff' and then 'cvs commit' while looking back at the
>>>scrollback buffer to see what the changes were.
>>
>>As far back as I can remember, emacs has always worked this way --
>>on all the operating systems I've ever worked on.
>>
>>Emacs as a full screen editor, always simply grabbed the screen
>>where it was ... normally the last (bottom) line of a terminal
>>window and worked backwards (up) from there.
>
>Hmm, I'm quite sure it didn't do this in 10.1.x, though.  Maybe it
>was issuing a screen-clearing command first, which would have the
>effect of scrolling the buffer up one screenful?  If I could get it
>to do that now, I'd be happy - it would also fix the way it slowly
>mixes the scrollback screen with the emacs buffer screen over the
>course of a couple seconds while it's starting up.  Yech.

Well, there are a few simple workarounds for this.

On most Unix systems, I pop open a terminal window specifically for
emacs (or vi, which used to wipe the screen buffer).  That also allows
me to get back into the shell quickly without disturbing my emacs
windows.  I often have three or four terminal windows open so I
can change contexts without scrolling.

On the Mac, I strongly suggest upgrading to carbon emacs, which runs
as a gui in its own window.  It also has the advantage of being up-to-date
and of having a few features that are unavailable in the shell version
(such as color-coding).  You can download the binary here:

        <http://www.mindlube.com/developer/>

--
Heather Madrone  ([EMAIL PROTECTED])  http://www.madrone.com
If we're not having fun, we're not doing it right.