Nathan Torkington wrote:

However, I'd several times interrupted fink attempting to compile
things from source, and I wonder whether one of those might have give
me the GNU du in /usr/bin instead of in /sw.  I'm not certain enough
to blame fink for that. [...] But finding a stray du in /usr/bin
scared the crap out of me, and at that point I didn't know how much
of my system was no longer standard.
Are you running Jaguar? I'm on 10.2.3 and have /usr/bin/du too,
not /sw/du, but it doesn't look like a problem. In fact, fink
doesn't even list a du package.

% which du
/usr/bin/du

% ls -al /sw/du
ls: /sw/du: No such file or directory

% fink --version
Package manager version: 0.11.2
Distribution version: 0.5.1.cvs

% fink list du
Information about 2124 packages read in 6 seconds.
[yadda yadda, du not listed]

% more /sw/etc/fink.conf
# Fink configuration, initially created by bootstrap.pl
Basepath: /sw
RootMethod: sudo
Trees: local/main stable/main stable/crypto local/bootstrap unstable/main unstable/crypto
[blah blah blah]

% uname -a
Darwin [my host name] 6.3 Darwin Kernel
Version 6.3: Sat Dec 14 03:11:25 PST 2002;
root:xnu/xnu-344.23.obj~4/RELEASE_PPC Power Macintosh powerpc

% ls -l /usr/bin/du
-r-xr-xr-x 1 root wheel 14172 Dec 26 08:10 /usr/bin/du

% ls -l /usr/bin | grep 'Dec 26 08:10' | wc -l
386

% ls -l /usr/bin | grep -v 'Dec 26 08:10' | wc -l
183

So what happened at 8:10 on December 26? The 386 binaries
last modified then include ar, at, awk, basename, biff, bison,
chgrp (but not chown), cmp, diff, etc.

OTOH, the 183 files with other mod. dates include apropos,
autoconf, gcc, gdb, java, nroff, osascript, etc.

Anyone else could live with that.  I have to edit books where we
claim that things work a particular way on OS X.  We've already
been bitten--fink's du has a -h option that Apple's du doesn't,
and without realizing it we described -h in "Learning Unix for
Mac OS X, 2ed".  So I really need a clean sane system.
Nasty.  FWIW, my du doesn't have -h:

% du -h
du: illegal option -- h
usage: du [-H | -L | -P] [-a | -s] [-ckx] [file ...]

HTH in some small way, even though it's too late for you.

Paul.

--
Paul Hoffman :: Taubman Medical Library :: Univ. of Michigan
[EMAIL PROTECTED] :: [EMAIL PROTECTED] :: http://www.nkuitse.com/