Thanks a lot!

Finally it works (at least, it was possible to install the XML::Handler::AxPoint module, and a few simple examples generated the right kind of output...)

Summarizing, in case anybody else experiences similar problems when trying to install axpoint on 10.2 w/perl5.8.0, I was able to install XML::Handler::AxPoint in the following steps:

1) Install libiconv (1.7-5) via fink.

2) Install Text::Iconv by downloading it from CPAN and changing two lines in the Makefile.PL (see Paul's message):

'LIBS' => ['-L/sw/lib -liconv'], # e.g., '-lm' 'INC' => '-I/sw/include', # e.g., '-I/usr/include/other'

3) Downlad source from pdflib.com and install pdflib (4.0.3) (replace configure with new configure for Jaguar found on their bugs and fixes page).

4) Cd to pdflib-4.0.3/bind/perl/ and make install.

5) sudo perl -MCPAN -e shell
cpan> install PDFLib # perhaps following command would automatically take care of this?
cpan> install install XML::Handler::AxPoint

However...

Most of the rest of the dependencies are pretty much sorted these days: at
least once you've got libxml2 and libxslt and have their perl wrappers
installed (watch the version of XML::LibXML, as per earlier messages. It broke
some time soon after 1.51 for Mac OS X).

I haven't consciously done these things -- will I regret it soon?

Thanks again!

Cheers,

Marco