On Sunday, February 23, 2003, at 05:06 PM, David Wheeler wrote:

On Sunday, February 23, 2003, at 11:07 AM, Sherm Pendley wrote:

I recently upgraded to the latest CPAN.pm, and I noticed a difference in behavior - when updating a module that's part of the core, it updates the copy in /System/Library/Perl instead of installing a new copy in /Library/Perl.

I noticed that CPANPLUS did this for me, too, with Perl 5.8.0 in /usr/local. It installed Attribute::Handlers in /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.0 but left the copy in /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.8.0 (core).

This leads me to think that this is typical and expected behavior.

Yes - what you're describing is the traditional behavior. As Ken pointed out, you needed to use the UNINST=1 switch to delete the old core module.

That's why I was surprised, and why I felt it worth commenting on it, when my install of Test::Harness didn't behave that way, when I installed it with the latest CPAN. Instead of installing it in /Library/Perl - the moral equivalent of site_perl, for Apple's built-in 5.6 - it updated the core copy of the module in /System/Library/Perl.

I just updated CPAN.pm using 5.8.0 in /opt, and CGI.pm, using both 5.6.0 and 5.8.0, with the same results. Each time, it updated the core module in-place, instead of installing the new version in site_perl as I'd expected it to.

sherm--

"I have no special gift, I am only passionately curious." - Albert Einstein