On Mon, Feb 24, 2003 at 05:11:19PM -0700, Nathan Torkington wrote:
> Chris Nandor writes:
> > Download Rendzevous source from Apple's Public Source site.  Run
> > SWIG on it.  Enjoy.  ;-)
>
> That isn't very portable beyond OS X :-) There's a Python implementation
> of zeroconf being developed:

The mDNS code that Apple provides is not only for OS X. It isn't even
the preferred API for OS X.
<http://developer.apple.com/darwin/projects/rendezvous/> has code for
generic POSIX systems, OS X, Mac OS 9, and Windows (and a placeholder
where they will put the VxWorks version)

Apple doesn't recommend applications use the mDNS code directly,
rather to create a single service on the machine that listens to the
multicast data and have individual applications register with it. Mac
OS X's NSNetServices (or CFNetworkServices) will do that.

--
"Maybe I should be in Hollywood!"  -- Samantha Langmead, age 5. on
learning how to use iMovie.