On Thu, 27 Feb 2003, David Hand wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 26, 2003 at 02:44:56PM -0600, Jonathan King wrote:

[snip]

> > automake
> > c_rehash
> > gatherheaderdoc
> > grep_changelog
> >
> > But my "favorite" undocumented program in the system is
> > /usr/sbin/softwareupdate.  Uniquely powerful, no man page, no source
> > I can find, and a couple of things that look a bit weird in the
> > output when I run "strings" on it.

As an aside, it turns out that softwareupdate *does* have a man page
in section 8, but something is messed up with my current set-up on
the powermac at work so that I can't see it (a quick google suggests
that I'm not the only one with this problem).  So take the other
"missing man page" reports I made with a grain of salt.

> More fun undocumented programs:
>
>         pbcopy          copies standard input to the UI's copy buffer
>         pbpaste         pastes to standard output

Wow.  Those are pretty cool, and "pbpaste -help" gives the
tantalizing suggestion that you can choose an output filter:

  Usage: pbpaste [-help] [-Prefer rtf|ps|ascii]

It turns out that this isn't what happense.  These commands date
from the NeXT era.  If anybody's interested, they can look here for
an html-ified man page:

http://www.vorlesungen.uni-osnabrueck.de/informatik/shellscript/Html/Man/_Man_NeXT_html/html1/pbcopy.1.html

jking