On Friday, Feb 28, 2003, at 14:18 US/Pacific, Warren Pollans wrote: [..]
I'm trying to work through recipe 9.16 in the cookbook - using Apache::DB - although I'm not trying to use Apache::DB yet - just trying to see how my stuff works when I start apache with "httpd -X -f path-to-configfile". This is on an ibook (OSX 10.1.5, apache 1.3.26, mod_perl 1.26 - the apple versions)

When I try to run one of my cgi scripts - that works fine under mod_perl without '-X' - I get the following in the error_log:

   POSIX.pm: Can't locate auto/DynaLoader/dl_install_.al in @INC (@INC
   contains: /Users/warren/include /System/Library/Perl/darwin
   /System/Library/Perl /Library/Perl/darwin /Library/Perl
   /Network/Library/Perl/darwin /Network/Library/Perl /usr/
   /usr/lib/perl) at /System/Library/Perl/darwin/XSLoader.pm line 90

What am I missing? where/what is auto/DynaLoader/dl_install_.al?
[..]

I think there are more than a few problems going on here.
so let's try to unwrap them slowly.

the error occurs in the XSLoader.pm file at line 90,
which if you look at the file is

my $xs = dl_install_xsub("${module}::bootstrap", $boot_symbol_ref, $file);

it should be noted that this could be a part of your problem,
that the XSLoader.pm file itself is kaput and garbled.

the other problem could well be as noted in the comment line:

    # Many dynamic extension loading problems will appear to come from
    # this section of code: XYZ failed at line 123 of DynaLoader.pm.
    # Often these errors are actually occurring in the initialisation
    # C code of the extension XS file. Perl reports the error as being
    # in this perl code simply because this was the last perl code
    # it executed.

because the 'autolaoder' file that it is looking for

dl_install_.al

makes no sense at all.

if you run nm on your copy of the DynaLoader.a
you will of course find

000007fc T _XS_DynaLoader_dl_install_xsub

which is what it should have been calling for, but having
failed to find that, in the available library, perl of
course then rolls out to try and find it as an autoloadable
file of the form

dl_install_xsub.al

expecting that it is actually perl and not library code.

You may also want to look at what is going on with your POSIX.pm,
and do you have a version skew problem driven by some variation
being in /Users/warren/include which has some of the POSIX.pm file
but has gone off strangely?

Other places where all of this can get wonky is if you have say
perl 5.8.0 as your perl but have the mod_perl from the 5.6.0 version.

ciao drieux

---