At 9:52 AM +0800 3/4/03, Peter N Lewis wrote:
But from endless examples I can say pretty definitively that the
vast majority of people are very bandwidth insensitive.  give them a
choice of smaller or better and they will pick better almost every
time, even with massive file sizes.

I'm not even sure "better" is necessary. I uploaded the December DevTools upgrade (~300 MB) without blinking an eye. Had they given me a choice to "leave out the 100 MB we don't think you'll need", I would have opted to take it all.

Furthermore, I'm not at all certain this is irrational.  Bandwidth
is essentially free for folks who have broadband; disk space is
essentially free to anyone with a modern disk drive (and not too
many MP3s (:-).  So, why _not_ grab it all?

The real problem I see coming for these users is that they will lose
track of what they have (I _know_ it's in here, somewhere...), but
I think that would happen regardless of their downloading decisions.

-r
--
email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]; phone: +1 650-873-7841
http://www.cfcl.com/rdm    - my home page, resume, etc.