On Sun, 16 Mar 2003, Sherm Pendley wrote:

> Strictly speaking, only the final "make install" must be run as root.
> You can do this with the CPAN shell, too. Just run it normally, without
> sudo. Instead of using "install Foo", use "test Foo" instead; this will
> cause the CPAN shell to download, unpack, build, and test the module,
> but it will stop short of running the final "make install". Then, use
> "look Foo" to open up a sub-shell in the module's build directory; you
> can then use "sudo make install" to run the final install step as root.

Interesting workaround. But this still plays into my original description,
I think -- once you're working within the CPAN shell, the system shell is
out of the way and so you can't ask for elevated priviliges. By using look
to open up a subshell, you are giving control back to the system shell
instead of the CPAN shell, & so are again allowed to ask for sudo rights.

Still, that is an interesting way to do... "just in time" sudo rights.

--
Chris Devers    [EMAIL PROTECTED]

throwaway, adj.
(Of a program) sold below cost for public debugging. See also PROTOTYPING.

    -- from _The Computer Contradictionary_, Stan Kelly-Bootle, 1995