I am working through the exercises in Chapter 1 of Learning Perl, Second Edition, O'Reilly publishers. I am using MacOS X (10.1.5), and Perl, v.5.6.0. An excerpt from one of the author's programs shows the following three lines:

open MAIL, "|mail YOUR_ADDRESS_HERE";
print MAIL "bad news: $someone guessed $someguess\n";
close MAIL;

($someone and $someguess have been assigned appropriate values prior to the above three lines.)

I suspect the above works fine in a typical UNIX environment, e.g.,

open MAIL, "|mail [EMAIL PROTECTED]";
print MAIL "bad news: $someone guessed $someguess\n";
close MAIL;

How can I get the above to work on my Macintosh? (I don't get an error message, nor do I receive an email.) Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Richard E. Adams
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]