On Wed, Jun 18, 2003 at 10:25:28PM +0900, Robin wrote:

> On Tuesday, June 17, 2003, at 07:13  pm, Michael Maibaum wrote:

> >>Dunno I used CPAN.pm and provided you follow the instructons at
> >>http://developer.apple.com/internet/macosx/perl.html
> >>which with the exception of setting the LC_ALL environment variable,
> >>is
> >>pretty concise, it went pretty smoothly.
> >
> >I would strongly recommend against this approach, or if you use it,
> >expect problems if/when you upgrade to Mac OS X 10.3.
>
> Are you objecting to CPAN or darwinports?

Neither, the directions at
http://developer.apple.com/internet/macosx/perl.html
which overwrite the Apple supplied perl.

> If its the CPAN method, you are being a tad dramatic. Provided you have
> installed the dev tools of course (no compiler otherwise), if you
> follow the instructions at appledev perl5.8 the distro will be
> installed by CPAN in/Users/YOU/usr/local/  and like anyother app you
> have installed in your user file, it won't be touched by system
> upgrades, it belongs to you. Install perl via CPAN as shown also won't
> overwrite the perl used by the OSX system itself (perl5.6, kept in
> /Sysytem/LIbrary/Perl). Overwriting this would cause problems for the
> parts of the system even before a system upgrade.

Agreed, I was objecting to the guidlines on the Apple website, not
installing a local perl as a user.

> The effect of darwinports I don't know.

DarwinPorts puts perl in /opt/local so it should be pretty safe.

One or two people emailled asking about a static mod_perl apache build
against perl 5.8, so I've uploaded one at
<http://darwinports.gene-hacker.net/pkgs/apache-mod_perl-static-1.3.27.dmg>

On the dmg are 2 package installers
perl5.8 (destination /opt/local/)
apache-1.3.27 with a statically linked mod_perl, (destination
/opt/local/apache-1.3.27)

Feedback welcome on these packages.

Michael
--