At 10:18 AM +0800 7/15/03, Peter N Lewis wrote:
At 10:25 AM +0900 15/7/03, Thilo Planz wrote:
sherlock://com.apple.flights?new_window&toolbar=hidden

itms://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZSearch.woa/wa/advancedSearchResults?songTerm=Bohemian

I am amazed by these sherlock:// and itms:// URLs.

Does anyone know how this works, if everyone can register "protocols" for their own apps (or if it is closed to Apple's) and where I can find some documentation about this architecture?

Are other applications also using this?

Anyone can register to be a helper for any "protocol" with Internet Config. Of course, a proper URL protocol would need to go through the standards process, etc, but that's for standards weenes right?

At least until you collide with someone else's registered protocol. :)

I've not read the RFCs lately, but I'd expect that you'd never collide with an official protocol if you started your name with x- as is specified for other extensible things (mail headers, news headers, and MIME headers, for example). Not obligatory, of course, but it beats finding out that your time: protocol conflicts with a new standard. This sort of escape hatch is usually built in so you *can* experiment with things before they make it to official standards, as the IETF is generally a "rough consensus and working code" sort of organization, and it's tough to have working code for protocol extensions without actually extending the protocol...
--
Dan

                                      teddy bears get drunk