Hello,

I have tried to install perl 5.8.2 on my powerbook running 10.2.

I used information on one of Apple's web pages to try this:

http://developer.apple.com/internet/macosx/perl.html

Note that this page is for installing 5.8.0, but it seemed to work OK, substituting the newer 5.8.2 downloaded gz file.

I followed the instructions exactly (I think), using the default installation configuration, NOT installing the new Perl on top of Apple's Perl 5.6.0.

The make seemed to work.

The make test gave me three errors - two with Berkeley DB (as mentioned on Apple's page), and one in a Ping test.

I went ahead and make installed anyway.

this also seemed to work.

However, when I checked the perl version ("perl -v"), it told me I am still running 5.6.0. This even after a restart.

I must be missing something obvious???

many thanks for any suggestions,
John

John Fowler