I'm sorry for all the confusion. Let me try one last time.

I have a perl file with a single chunk of data produced by typing option-8 after __DATA__. So the end of the file looks like this:

    __DATA__
    option-8

When I look at this file with HexEdit, option-8 appears as "A5".

My actual script looks for the pattern "m/\xa5/" in the data. If I make the script executable and run it from the terminal, it finds "A5". If I execute the script from BBEdit, either directly or "Run in Terminal", no "A5" is found.

When I write another script to print out the bytes under __DATA__, I see
"A5" if I execute the script from Terminal, and I see "E2 80 A2" if I run the script fom BBEdit, either directly or "Run in Terminal." But BBEdit can see "A5". It just can't see it as "DATA". If I write a script to look for "A5" in the file that contains the single option-8 data element and run the script from BBEdit, BBEdit has no trouble spotting the A5 at the end of the file.

Sorry to be such a bore! Now I quit.

Regards,

Vic