--- Thilo Planz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> It is a problem of context.

That's what I figured, but I wasn't sure off-hand how.
Thanks for the insight (you too Charlie). I had it set
up as $scalar=$ref initially but that introduced some
major problems that took a while to hunt down-- namely
that it just makes a reference (duh) to the data but
doesn't actually copy it over (the new copy needs to
be manipulated without affecting the old copy). Your
other option, $scalar={%{$ref}} , will work nicely.
Thanks again.

~wren