OK, I'm a git. I didn't scroll down so I didn't realise this had already been answered half a dozen times. Sorry!

On 2 Feb 2004, at 10:32 am, Rick Measham wrote:

On 2 Feb 2004, at 12:59 am, timothy driscoll wrote:
this fails with an error 'Permission denied' when the target dir 'temp' looks
like this:

drwxrwxr-x 3 nobody nobody 102 1 Feb 08:44 temp

but it works if I make the dir writeable by everyone:

drwxrwxrwx 3 nobody nobody 102 1 Feb 08:44 temp

I thought perl ran as nobody, so giving r/w access to 'nobody' should work.
but obviously it doesn't - so what did I do wrong?

G'day Tim,

perl itself will run as whoever calls it. In the case of CGI it will be run by Apache or whichever http server you're running.

By default apache used to run as 'nobody.nobody', then on some installs it runs as 'apache.apache'. However, on MacOS-X it runs as 'www.www'. Check the httpd.conf file to see (It's the 'user' and 'group' directives).

Assuming you're on OS-X, set your file's owner.group to www.www and you should be fine with a 744.

Cheers!
Rick

Rick Measham Senior Designer and Developer

Printaform Pty Ltd
Tel: (03) 9850 3255
Fax: (03) 9850 3277
http://www.printaform.com.au