There are others who will certainly know better than I do, however let me ask, are you running CPAN with:
sudo /full/path/to/perl -MCPAN -e shell
If you don't use sudo (or su to root if you have it enabled) then there will be problems with installs, and if you have your own perl installed you'll need the full path to it.

That's just my thoughts, given the 'super-user' related errors.

Cheers!
Rick