On 2004/02/28, at 0:08, Chap Harrison wrote:

... and I wonder why some people swear by Applescript. I think it may be from inexperience.

Yours or theirs?

(heh.)

As has been pointed out, FileMaker is still more of a RAD tool than a solutions tool, and AppleScript also. Precision in a language is a requirement in contradiction with ambiguity, ergo, flexibility.

I think a large part of Perl's success is the ability to go from a relatively flexible syntax to a relatively precise syntax within the same language. (As opposed to Java, for example, where precision can't be escaped, but is relatively uncluttered by language artifacts, or SQL, where you have to escape the language to get precision in all but a few business contexts.)

I think I agree with John and Doug, your best approach is to expect to use multiple tools, which is why mailing lists are useful.