On Mar 20, 2004, at 9:48 PM, Bohdan Peter Rekshynskyj wrote:

Thanks for the info, but for quick apps, Perl is great, hence I'd prefer to use it
over Java...

I prefer it too - if I didn't, I wouldn't have written a project around it.

But let's be practical. You might prefer to use Stanley tools - but if you need to drive a nail, and the tools you have at hand are a Stanley screwdriver and a Craftsman hammer, it would be silly to choose the screwdriver based on its brand.

A preference for a particular language is all well and good, but like most things, it's possible to take it too far. A certain amount of flexibility is necessary, because *no* tool is right for *every* job. If you're writing device drivers, or if hiding your code is a fixed requirement that's dictated by your client/boss/whatever, then Perl is not the right tool for the job.

sherm--