Yes, open-source makes advanced things possible. But does installing Imagemagick and Perlmagick really need to be in the "advanced" category? Took me (a unix newbie, I admit) an awfully long time to get it working, and I never would have succeeded without access to a personal expert who had done it before himself. As I recall, these were the major steps:

1. Installed Fink.
2. Installed Imagemagick via Fink.
3. Installed a whole new Perl, since Perlmagick seemed to require a newer version than Apple provided.
4. Downloaded Imagemagick source just to get Perlmagick, then installed Perlmagick from source.

I'm afraid I didn't take notes on all the minor stumbling blocks I encountered along the way, or I'd post more detailed instructions to save others the headaches. I do remember that it took me a very long time to get PerlMagick to build without errors. There was something about editing a makefile, which I first did incorrectly, then fixed it but it kept using the old renamed version until I moved that to a different directory. Or something. Now it all works, but I dread the next time I have to touch anything.

Of course, there may have been an easier way that I didn't discover. Maybe you can install Perlmagick via Fink, though when I checked it was labeled unstable, and only available from source.

So I offer my sympathy to others who are going through this ordeal, and I beg the experts to come up with a better method, or at least better instructions.

Thanks for listening,

Dan