On Jun 14, 2004, at 2:34 PM, Phil Calvert wrote:

On Jun 13, 2004, at 9:53 PM, Sherm Pendley wrote:

On Jun 14, 2004, at 12:12 AM, Phil Calvert wrote:

At this point, maybe the best thing would be to reinstall osX?

I'm guessing you're a recent refugee from Windows? ;-)

Sir, you wound me! ;-) I've never used a windows for more than a hour without feeling ill. I will admit to being a long time system 6, 7, 8, 9 user and this unix stuff is still a bit heady.

I'm curious - is reinstalling the OS a common troubleshooting technique for older MacOS versions? I'm a fairly recent switcher myself. I purchased my first Mac expressly to run Mac OS X DP4.

Well, I installed Xcode

That, in a nutshell, was the problem. Panther needs Xcode. Older Project Builder releases will sort of work - for some value of "work" - but they're unsupported on Panther, and using them can lead to all sorts of difficult to diagnose problems.

sherm--