Apparently the problem is related to Xcode packaging, and it's not specific to Perl - I found complaints about it on all sorts of other lists. Here's a post about it I found on macintouch.

Answer to missing /usr/lib *.o files

Dan Smith
I _think_ I have this figured out now, and will pass it on in hopes of saving others the hours of time I have spent on this. I may not have all the details quite right yet, but my appetite for trying "just one more install" has long been satiated.

For most development tools to work--including building Xcode's default hello-world "Standard Tool"--/usr/lib must contain four *.o files, specifically bundle1.o, crt1.o, dylib1.o and gcrt1.o.

Apple recently changed the division of labor between the OS installer and the Xcode installer. Specifically:
• The Panther 10.3 (i.e. 2Z691-4585-A, first 10.3 Panther release, fall 2003) installs these files.
• The Xcode 1.0 (691-4591-A) CD--from the same four-disc set--does NOT install them (which is fine, because they are there from the OS installation).

• The Power Mac G5 Software Install DVD shipped with recent G5s, 691-4898A, OS 10.3.2, does NOT install these files.
• The Xcode 1.1 FULL install CD, downloaded from the developer website installs these files. This CD does not appear to be in the developer mailings and there does not seem to be any way to obtain it other than by downloading.
• The Xcode 1.1 updater, contained in the mailed developer CD sets, apparently does NOT install them.

This means that plausible sequences such as: Install OS on brand new Mac from Software Restore; install Xcode 1.0 from CD; apply Xcode 1.1 updater--will not install these files.

Conversely, there are many ways these files can already be present on a machine with "history" behind it, so theproblem can easily escape notice until one tries to reinstall a clean new OS and development environment on a new machine.

sherm--