Incidentally, I've just used Apple's new system-transfer tool to start off the new powerbook, and noticed that it successfully copies /sw and the contents of /Library/Perl as well as the more obvious directories.

It doesn't get /usr/local, though, which seems an odd omission, or /usr/X11R6, but tarring and transferring those two directories seems to have worked fine. I needed to recreate some startup items and symlinks, is all.

It seems that even quite a baroque system setup (with three apaches and lots of fink) can be migrated quite smoothly, which is an enormous improvement over the three or four days it used to take me to bring a new machine up to speed, and seems safer somehow than carbon-copying the drive.

anyone else?

best

will