I get exactly the same problem.  Have tried several versions of MySQL
(3.23.58, 4.0.17, 4.0.20) and recompiled the Msql-Mysql-modules CPAN
package against these different versions, but to no avail.  Normal DBI
works for me, but within Apache::DBI no.  Did you get a solution to this
Chris?  Anyone else got an idea?