On Nov 3, 2004, at 6:42 AM, David Cantrell wrote:

I do *not* advise removing the perl that comes with OS X.

Neither did I. There's a big difference between "removing perl" and "changing which perl is the default".

I suggested removing /usr/bin/perl, which by default is just a link to /usr/bin/perl5.6.1. Nothing will be removed for good - in the highly unlikely event of any problems, it's trivially simple to work around them. For one-time scripts (installers, etc.) you can temporarily remove the 5.8.4 symlink and revert to the 5.6.1 symlink while you're running that script. And for stuff that's going to stick around for a while (startup items, etc.), you just point the script to #!/usr/bin/perl5.6.1.

Instead, install perl in /usr/local/, and make sure that that comes
first in your path.

That's fine for scripts that you run from a shell, with "perl scriptname.pl". Do you run many of your scripts that way? I certainly don't. Most of my scripts depend on the first #! line to choose a Perl.

sherm--