I'm setting up a new iMac running Panther.

I downloaded MySQL, DBI and DBD-MySQL from fink but
removed it because it did not include mysqld_safe.

Then I downloaded MySQL and DBI (which installed
fine).  I downloaded DBD_MySQL and tried to install it
 - from the desktop and via cpan -  after reading (and
implementing) the env hack published on this list on
Oct 15, 2003 and the Bundle::mysql download from cpan.

In both cases, the "make test" hangs at

t/00base...........ok

t/10dsnlist........

and makefile.PL can't seem to find mysql_config which
is at

/usr/local/mysql-standard-4.1.7-apple-darwin7.5.0-powerpc/bin

This gets me way far from anything I know about.

Here is a my install log for cpan and manual + the
contents of Makefile:

http://www.stantonwoods.com/after_env_hack

Sorry to bring up this old issue.
Tom McDonough