In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
 [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chris Devers) wrote:

> I thought I'd play around with Mac::Glue, so I fired up the CPAN shell
> to install it. The installation went, in part, like this:

[snip]

> At this point, things seemed to go haywire. The perl process was taking
> up the bulk of CPU time, the virtual memory consumption for that process
> was well over a gigabyte and growing, the system was almost completely
> unresponsive, and it was staying that way for 20 minutes or more.
>
> I've never seen a CPAN installation do this sort of thing before.

I've never seen a Mac::Glue installation do that before.

> So... in spite of some nasty looking errors, the installation made it to
> the tests, and they appear to have all passed cleanly.
>
> Is this trustworthy?

No, because of this (which should cause the tests to fail, but does not,
which I will fix in next release):

    t/glue....Please run gluedialect and gluescriptadds programs at
/Users/cdevers/.cpan/build/Mac-Glue-1.22/blib/lib/Mac/Glue.pm line 1341,
<DATA> line 1.

Mac::Glue creates special glue files for the AppleScript core
language/dialect, various scripting additions, programs, and so on.  Without
those, Mac::Glue can't do much, and while it looks like maybe you got the
dialect file installed -- the most important one -- it needs the others too.

You can try running those programs again, but I fear they would do the same
thing if you don't change something.

I wonder if maybe Joel has the right idea with the memory thing.

If it continues to be a problem, I can try to hop on a dual G5 and try it
out myself.

--
Chris Nandor                      [EMAIL PROTECTED]    http://pudge.net/
Open Source Development Network    [EMAIL PROTECTED]     http://osdn.com/