I have spent hours trying to install LWP on my Powerbook. I have installed the
new developer tools in case the c compiler was a problem but being a novice to
unix/ perl, etc I am now completely lost.

The first thing I try is
sudo perl -MCPAN -eshell
.
.
then
 cpan>install LWP

This goes for a while then ends badly as below,
Checking if your kit is complete...
Looks good
Writing Makefile for URI
    -- NOT OK
Running make test
  Can't test without successful make
Running make install
  make had returned bad status, install seems impossible
Running make for G/GA/GAAS/libwww-perl-5.803.tar.gz
  Is already unwrapped into directory /Users/anthonyjoshua/.cpan/build/libwww-
perl-5.803

  CPAN.pm: Going to build G/GA/GAAS/libwww-perl-5.803.tar.gz

    -- NOT OK
Running make test
  Can't test without successful make
Running make install
  make had returned bad status, install seems impossible

So alternatively I do it from the prompt line as one line;
sudo  perl -MCPAN -e 'CPAN::install LWP'

and again its all tragic

Checking if your kit is complete...
Looks good
Writing Makefile for HTML::Tagset
    -- NOT OK
Running make test
  Can't test without successful make
Running make install
  make had returned bad status, install seems impossible
Running make for G/GA/GAAS/HTML-Parser-3.45.tar.gz
  Is already unwrapped into directory /Users/anthonyjoshua/.cpan/build/HTML-
Parser-3.45

  CPAN.pm: Going to build G/GA/GAAS/HTML-Parser-3.45.tar.gz

    -- NOT OK
Running make test
  Can't test without successful make
Running make install
  make had returned bad status, install seems impossible
Running make for G/GA/GAAS/libwww-perl-5.803.tar.gz
  Is already unwrapped into directory /Users/anthonyjoshua/.cpan/build/libwww-
perl-5.803

  CPAN.pm: Going to build G/GA/GAAS/libwww-perl-5.803.tar.gz

    -- NOT OK
Running make test
  Can't test without successful make
Running make install
  make had returned bad status, install seems impossible

So any help at all would be appreciated - Im doing a course and falling
rapidly behind,
Anthony