On Apr 21, 2005, at 1:17 PM, Robert wrote:

Tiger is coming with a newer version of Perl (5.8.6 I believe). When I do an
upgrade does the installer wipe out everything I have already setup via
CPAN? Or can I just do arecompile...and keep running?

Your Perl modules won't be deleted unless you use the "clean install" option, which deletes *everything*.

/Library/Perl/5.8.1 & /Library/Perl/5.8.1/darwin-yadda is included in @INC by default. So far as Perl itself is concerned, 5.8.6 (which is what Tiger ships with) is binary-compatible with modules built for 5.8.1.

Note that there's no guarantee that *every* module will work perfectly, just that the interface between Perl and its modules hasn't changed. If you have a Perl module that's a wrapper for libFoo, there's also the question of whether the binary interface to libFoo has changed or not. If it has, you'd need to rebuild that module against the newer libFoo.

sherm--