I've got a Perl CGI script that acts as a "system browser".
For example, it can look at files and directories and say
interesting things about them.  This works fine, as long as
the files are world-readable, but fails (because Apache runs
as 'www') as soon as the user wanders into "private" areas.

One answer to this is to launch a small-footprint web server
that runs as the current user.  The CGI would run under that
server and all would be nifty and cool (well, not really,
but OK :-).

I'm wondering if I've overlooked a way to get Personal Web
Sharing (aka Apache) to handle this for me.  Something like
"have the user authenticate via https, then launch a given
CGI script with that user's uid".

Help?

-r
--
email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]; phone: +1 650-873-7841
http://www.cfcl.com        - Canta Forda Computer Laboratory