On Wed, August 31, 2005 7:31 am, Lola Lee said:
> Lola Lee wrote:
>
>> For some reason, when I try to do "sudo cpan", it won't start up, and
>> generates this following message:
>
> Well . . . I figured it out - removed .lock and all is back to normal.
> I'd like to know why this happened, though.

Sounds like CPAN was (previously) started and not closed correctly.  The
.lock file was so that you don't accidentally run two copies at the same
time.  The message gives enough information for you to check if CPAN is
currently running.

So, the expected thing for you to do is to check if CPAN is running, and
if it isn't, remove the .lock file and run CPAN.  Which you did.  ;)

Daniel T. Staal

local copyright law.