On 29 Oct 2005, at 01:34, Sherm Pendley wrote:

I think you've overestimated the amount of magic in CPAN. All it does is download the module, unzip it, and run "perl Makefile.PL; make; make test; make install". The location to which modules will be installed is determined by Perl's configuration, and is the same whether you use CPAN.pm to run those commands or run them yourself from a shell prompt. (More to the point, you *don't* need to "set up" anything to get modules installed in their proper locations, because Perl *already* knows where they need to be installed.)

Where CPAN *really* shines is in managing dependencies. ...

Ok, the above makes sense to me - unfortunately, it doesn't allow me to fix my original problem ...

I'm attempting to install the WC3 HTML validator on my Mac by following the instructions from http://developer.apple.com/internet/opensource/validator.html

Things seem to work in accordance with the instructions and the local validator web page is available on my machine. However, when I tried to validate a page, I got the error message:

Can't locate HTML/Parser.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /System/Library/Perl/5.8.1/darwin-thread-multi-2level /System/Library/Perl/5.8.1 /Library/Perl/5.8.1/darwin-thread-multi-2level /Library/Perl/5.8.1 /Library/Perl /Network/Library/Perl/5.8.1/darwin-thread-multi-2level /Network/Library/Perl/5.8.1 /Network/Library/Perl) at /Library/WebServer/Documents/validator/htdocs/check line 48. BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /Library/WebServer/Documents/validator/htdocs/check line 48.

When I copied Parser.pm from my ~/.cpan directory tree into Library/Perl/5.8.1, attempting to validate a page gave me the error message:

Can't locate loadable object for module HTML::Parser in @INC (@INC contains: <as above>) at /Library/WebServer/Documents/validator/htdocs/check line 48 Compilation failed in require at /Library/WebServer/Documents/validator/htdocs/check line 48. BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /Library/WebServer/Documents/validator/htdocs/check line 48.

Hence my original question about where should I put the files from CPAN.

So, I've got a serious lack of understanding on my part about how to set things up - I don't know enough to know if it's a Perl configuration or a validator problem. Suggestions would be welcome. (I'm running Mac OS X 10.3.9 with the Perl that came with the OS and to which I've not (knowingly) made any configuration changes.)

Dave
--
Dave Linton
01341 280901