You all know I've been on this list for a long time, and I've asked the most stupid questions of anyone here, so keep that in mind when reading the following (I have a reputation to keep ;)

I've been wondering about this for quite awhile and thought I'd finally bring it, I'll try to explain as best as I can...

I have a web based app that I've developed on my MacOS X desktop (and iBook) using perl and some modules I've installed. To test it I use the built-in apache web server and Safari web browser pointed at "http://localhost/cgi-bin/myApp.cgi";. Right now I'm playing with re-factoring it to use a web app framework like "CGI::Prototype" or "CGI::Application". It works pretty good. I mean, it's pretty fast, stable, and now I'm adding some "Web 2.0" stuff that adds some pretty cool features like auto completing forms, dynamic content, and even some cool visual effects. So, I keep coming back to these questions...

First, how hard is it to create an "Mac OS X Installer" that can set this up on any mac to run without an internet connection? I played around with this a little a long time ago, but had trouble getting file permissions set-up right and turning on apache, and never even tried to install perl modules.

Second, is it possible create a way to run my content in a native MacOS X Window instead of the web browser? If this could be done, and I could connect the window and "main menu bar" at the top of the screen to my perl CGI script, then I'd almost have a native Mac OS X "Look and Feel" with little additional effort. I guess I envision something similar to the "Help" application that I can manipulate with my perl CGI scripts...

It seems that maybe Sherm's stuff (CamelBones and FatCamel) might already provide much of what is need to do these things.

Finally, Does this make any sense to anyone else (or does my reputation grow yet larger)?

Kindest Regards,
--
Bill Stephenson