David> It's entirely possible to write your subroutines so that they'll work
David> just fine as either functions *or* class methods *or* instance methods.
David> The code is a bit ghastly though, and I don't recommend it.  In fact,
David> I'm taking that particular breed of insanity out of one of my modules
David> that is on the CPAN.  Thankfully, I never documented that they could be
David> called as functions, and so I don't feel that I shuold care if their
David> removal breaks anything :-)

Even if you fix yours, CGI.pm will live on as a public example of
how twisted code can get over the years. :)

See the horrors of &self_or_default, but only when properly prepared
to flush your mind later.