Attempting to either install DBI (using cpan or running make etc myself) or
build my own copy of Perl from source (when running Configure) I get an error
from the ld tool.

I've applied the "env MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET=10.3" patch to
/System/Library/Perl/5.8.1/darwin-thread-multi-2level/Config.pm , which seemed
to fix the DBI installation problem for many people.

Mac OS 10.3.9, with Apple's developer tools installed (default installation -
assume I don't need the other stuff). To install from source I was following
the instructions at http://developer.apple.com/internet/opensource/perl.html

The errors are about ld not being able to find the files for "-lbundle1.o" for
the module installation and "-lcrt1.o" when attempting to build Perl from
source. The latter causes Configure to bail saying that there isn't a working C
compiler available.

Any ideas on how to fix this would be gratefully received, because I'm utterly
baffled. All the similar issues that I've read about in the archives either to
have been resolved either by an installation of Panther dev tools or the 'env'
fix. But I've got the former and already tried the latter.

Is there some environmental variable or config file option that could be
triggering the build process to require libraries that aren't needed and don't
exist on OS X?

TIA,
James Harvard