Up front caveat, I don't have a lot of experience with this kind of thing, but, ...

On 2006.6.8, at 02:36 AM, Mike Schienle wrote:

Celeste Suliin Burris wrote:
I'm a bit confused as to why you need to use ODBC. I just connect to the remote MySQL server via the DBI when I'm using Perl. I have my Linux machine
running MySQL 5.0.

Hi Celeste -

I'm working on a program that will update a database throughout the day and provide the customer with a spreadsheet of the results. I'd rather have the customer be able to open the spreadsheet any time and get the latest data rather than having to create a new spreadsheet each time the data updates. I should be able to accomplish that by putting the ODBC connections directly in the spreadsheet.

Why?

Would it make more sense, perchance, to use a web browser as your front-end instead of MSOffice?

I have no problem doing the DBI connection from Perl, which is what I've been doing for quite some time. What I'm after is a way to do the connection from an Excel spreadsheet that has been written by WriteExcel.

How often does this spreadsheet need to be (mechanically, I assume) rebuilt? (That's the only reason I can think of for building such a spreadsheet from a perl script.)

The program is for multiple customers, so I want/need to be able to write a spreadsheet that is for the particular customer. I might be able to do this as an Excel template, also. That would be Plan B or C.

Oh. That's another reason, I suppose.

My guess is you're going to be flying by the seat of your pants on this project with no radio.

I think I'd try to sell the customers on pushing the interface to MSOffice back a ways, doing the tables in HTML on a local-access-only server, and only dumping the relatively static results to Excel at the stage where things go to the archive. (Nursing the customers off of MSOffice as an archive format is also something I'd recommend, but one thing at a time.)