On Jul 7, 2006, at 3:18 AM, Adam Witney wrote:
then the error goes away, therefore i suspect this is a problem with the
internal datatype. I have never worried about this in Perl before, but
it appears to be more important now as R is more strict.

I'd call this a bug in the RSPerl code, actually. If it's looking for a number, it should use the SvNV() or SvIV() macros (to get a double or integer, respectively). I suspect it's using SvIOK() or SvNOK(), which don't attempt to do any automatic coercion. This forces you, the caller, to do it.

Check out the first couple pages of `perldoc perlguts` for the details.

 -Ken