I'm processing a string with embedded newlines. For testing I was
storing the text in __DATA__ and slurping it into a string. This works
fine. However when I read in a file, I'm having trouble with the line
endings. Matching begining/end of logical lines is not working as I
expect. Regexes like the one below match when using the DATA filehandle,
but don't when opening other text files on my Mac.

    $text =~ s/^Text to match.*$//m;

Is this due to UNIX '\n' vs. Mac '\r' line endings? I assumed the 'm'
modifier would recognize any line ending.

Oh what to do?

Andrew