On Sep 26, 2006, at 1:50 PM, Ray Zimmerman wrote:

My practice of building my own perl, which began back in the days of Jaguar, grew out of the need to have my web dev environment (apache, mod_perl, php, mod_ssl, lots of CPAN modules, etc, etc) be consistent across my dev machine (OS X) and several servers (Linux). And IIRC this did come after a number of version inconsistency related problems. At the time, building my own custom versions of everything on each box seemed the best way to go.

That makes perfect sense to me, but it's a very different situation. Jaguar shipped with 5.6, and most Linux distros were shipping with 5.8 by then. That's a major release, and a *much* bigger jump than from 5.8.6 to 5.8.8 - that's just a minor "point" release to fix some bugs and update some of the core modules.

sherm--