On 2006/11/23, at 22:20, Joel Rees wrote:

Trying to install Bundle::XML through CPAN on my parallel install of perl in /usr/local, I get this stuff that I recall seeing some talk of on the list, but I can't remember where I saved the text from the build sessions.

cpan gave me some notices about not being able to find expat's libs, and the Makefile told me to define some variables on the perl command line, PERLEXPATLIB and PERLEXPATINCLUDE or something like that. I tried invoking Makefile.pl directly, as the error messages suggested, gut a compile, and some tests fail and I'm too sleepy to remember any of this. If anyone can read my mind and can tell me what I'm doing wrong before I dig those messages back up tomorrow, I'd sure appreciate it.

joel, recognizing that trying to install things in his sleep is one of the things he is doing wrong

Okay, here's the snippets from the error messages, if they make things any clearer:

---------------from cpan attempt to install Bundle::XML--------------
Removing previously used /Users/jmr/.cpan/build/XML-Parser-2.34

  CPAN.pm: Going to build M/MS/MSERGEANT/XML-Parser-2.34.tar.gz

Note (probably harmless): No library found for -lexpat

Expat must be installed prior to building XML::Parser and I can't find
it in the standard library directories. You can download expat from:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/expat/

If expat is installed, but in a non-standard directory, then use the
following options to Makefile.PL:

    EXPATLIBPATH=...  To set the directory in which to find libexpat

    EXPATINCPATH=...  To set the directory in which to find expat.h

For example:

perl Makefile.PL EXPATLIBPATH=/home/me/lib EXPATINCPATH=/home/me/ include

Note that if you build against a shareable library in a non-standard location you may (on some platforms) also have to set your LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment
variable at run time for perl to find the library.

Warning: No success on command[/usr/local/bin/perl Makefile.PL]
Running make test
  Make had some problems, won't test
Running make install
  Make had some problems, won't install

-----------------from attempt to make by hand----------------------
perl Makefile.PL EXPATLIBPATH=/usr/local/lib EXPATINCPATH=/usr/local/ include
Checking if your kit is complete...
Looks good
Writing Makefile for XML::Parser::Expat
Writing Makefile for XML::Parser
opossum:~/.cpan/build/XML-Parser-2.34 jmr$ make
cp Parser/Encodings/x-sjis-cp932.enc blib/lib/XML/Parser/Encodings/x- sjis-cp932.enc
opossum:~/.cpan/build/XML-Parser-2.34 jmr$ make test
PERL_DL_NONLAZY=1 /usr/local/bin/perl "-MExtUtils::Command::MM" "-e" "test_harness(0, 'blib/lib', 'blib/arch')" t/*.t
t/astress.........FAILED tests 19-20, 24
        Failed 3/27 tests, 88.89% okay
t/cdata...........ok
t/decl............ok
t/defaulted.......ok
t/encoding........"my" variable $p masks earlier declaration in same scope at t/encoding.t line 94.
t/encoding........ok
t/external_ent....ok
t/file............ok
t/finish..........ok
t/namespaces......ok
t/parament........ok
t/partial.........ok
t/skip............ok
t/stream..........ok
t/styles..........ok
Failed Test Stat Wstat Total Fail  List of Failed
t/astress.t               27    3  19-20 24
Failed 1/14 test scripts. 3/130 subtests failed.
Files=14, Tests=130, 3 wallclock secs ( 1.36 cusr + 0.41 csys = 1.77 CPU)
Failed 1/14 test programs. 3/130 subtests failed.
make: *** [test_dynamic] Error 255