I got a MacBook two days ago.
My wife has had one for a year and it looked like a good thing.

I've been doing all this perl stuff on Debian & Solaris for almost a decade. But I'm not familiar with how it's supposed to be done under Mac, so I'm rather stuck.

Objective: install postgresql client software and drivers necessary to access remote postgresql databases. A local database is not required since sqllite3 is present and should suffice for development work. My expectation is that I can log in to a remote database using psql and perls DBI or DBD::Pg modules.

I have installed the following today:
Xcode (gcc & make)
DBI
Bundle::CPAN

from CPAN.  This also included YAML.

and Fink & MacPorts -- but nothing else from these.

I also have found that pgsql is already on the notebook and works correctly.
I also found the pg_config file in:
/System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/rmdb.bundle/bin/pg_config
But when I put this in for my path to pg_config I get the following (YAML?) related error immediately afterwards.:

Checking if your kit is complete...
Looks good
Note (probably harmless): No library found for -lpq
Using DBI 1.54 (for perl 5.008006 on darwin-thread-multi-2level) installed in /Library/Perl/5.8.6/darwin-thread-multi-2level/auto/DBI/
Writing Makefile for DBD::Pg
YAML Warning: Parsing a 1.2 document with a 1.0 parser
   Code: YAML_PARSE_WARN_BAD_MINOR_VERSION
   Line: 2
   Document: 1
at /Library/Perl/5.8.6/YAML/Base.pm line 88
YAML::Base::warn('YAML::Loader=HASH(0x4f939e0)', 'YAML_PARSE_WARN_BAD_MINOR_VERSION', 1.2) called at /Library/Perl/ 5.8.6/YAML/Loader.pm line 95 YAML::Loader::_parse('YAML::Loader=HASH(0x4f939e0)') called at /Library/Perl/5.8.6/YAML/Loader.pm line 22

And it spews a few dozen more lines that I truncated.
I'm not sure what I need to do at this point. There isn't anything here that says the problem is the postgresql libraries or anything like that. Rather a YAML issue.

The funny thing is the claim that the Parser is a 1.0 parser when *I* think it's the most up to date available (which is version 0.67) so I'm not in the right point of reference on the version.

I'm really hoping I can get this working soon.
It's kind of killing my progress and whole point of getting a MacBook.

Help?