From perldoc CGI:

A Lurking Trap! Some of the form-element generating methods return multiple tags. In a scalar context, the tags will be concatenated together with spaces, or whatever is the current value of the $" global. In a list context, the methods will return a list of elements, allowing you to modify them if you wish. Usually you will not notice this behavior, but beware of this:

           printf("%s\n",end_form())

end_form() produces several tags, and only the first of them will be printed because the format only expects one value.