Responding without thinking, but,

On 平成 19/10/24, at 4:44, David Cantrell wrote:

As some of you may know, I'm one of the cpan-testers. I recently sent a
test failure for Log-Report-0.11 on OS X.  The author is most puzzled
about what's happening, and once I gave him a guest account he could
play with, he found that ...

What I found out, is that "locale -a" says that nl_NL exists, and
/sw/share/locale/nl/glibc.mo is present.  However,

  LANG=nl ls /xx

is still in English.  Don't know why.

This seems rather odd.

Anyone know what's going on?

My memory is that Apple is not using the same locale mechanisms as most of the rest of the *nix world.

[clickety-clackety]

Hmm. Yeah, the LANG environment variable is not set in the default shell in my family account (Mac OS 10.4), which has Japanese at the top of the language list in the system preferences.

I never have yet bothered figuring out why/how Mac OS makes the foreign language stuff work. (Not much interested, any more.)

--
David Cantrell | Cake Smuggler Extraordinaire

     Repent through spending

Joel Rees
(waiting for a 3+GHz ARM processor to come out,
to test Steve's willingness to switch again.)